A Crazy Colored Bookshelf
Hey, it’s Aiyanah M. Today I am talking about my beautiful bookshelf and it’s not so beautiful paint job.
So I was brainstorming for ideas for the capstone when I realized…
1. I need space for books.
2. It would be awesome to make a bookshelf.
3.I can use CNC, 3D printing, and the laser cutter to make it.
So I knew what I was doing but how to do it? I did lots of research into fun and artsy designs.
I had (awful) sketches and notes on what I would make.
While I liked them, some seemed overly complicated and others seemed to be boring and not a challenge. So I came up with my own.
My idea was to get planks and put thick blocks of wood between them. Then I would add the back. These were the things I used;
- 2x10x10 wood blocks(6)
- 1x11x36 planks(4)
- 36x33x1/4 backing(1)
- 2″ wheels(4)
- can of purple paint
- spray can of blue paint
- spray can of white paint
This is what I ended up using, though what I had in mind was a slight bit different.
So I can make a bookshelf but how did I incorporate the different ways of manufacturing? Well I was going to use the CNC mill to carve designs into the 10×10 blocks that would be visible from the sides. The problem with this was that on some of the designs, parts of it were to small for the CNC mill. I could have tried to find an even smaller bit but Mary suggested that I laser cut it.
These were the 10 x 10 bookshelf pieces in easel when I was about to CNC them.
These were the 10 x 10 bookshelf pieces in inkscape when I was preparing to laser cut them.
This was 2 skill we learned but what about 3D printing? Well I made 3D printed bookends. I used some fun quotes on them and designed it using 123D design. I had a problem doing this and it was size. By accident, I was making the bookends too small. I was able to fix this and reprint them.
These are the bookend designs.
After all the pieces were done I had to paint and assemble. I was going to make it purple and black then I had a streak of inspiration gone wrong. I saw some blue spray paint cans lying around and started playing around. It didn’t go well.
After this was assembly. I learned how to use a drill to put it together. At some points it was too hard to drill in at an angle so I 3D printed some brackets to help. The first time I got the measurements right but it worked the second time.
Eventually I got a finished bookshelf and bookends. It was a great challenge and I learned a lot.
(finished bookshelf and bookends)