CCBC Lego brick

Making a functional lego brick was the second design challenge we were tasked with creating in fusion360, after making the set of dice. We were each given a lego brick that we would use to measure. In this case I was given a 3×2 brick. Once we printed the bricks we would test them by trying to attach them to a regular lego, after that we would adjust the design accordingly and retry.

Out of five versions of the lego bricks, I was successful in getting one to work. During the process of creating these bricks, the hardest part was staying consistent with sizes. This project was perfect for learning how to take measurements, be precise, and account for tolerance on a 3d printer. The tolerance on the printer we used, affected the printed product. Tolerance refers to how much the original design measurements are changed due to a number of ways the printer runs. The way the printer extrudes filament, and creates the layers is one of the ways. For example, if you intended to make a square that had the dimension 10.00 mm by 10.00mm, you may not end up with those exact measurement after it prints. Instead you may have a square that was 10.20mm by 10.20mm. This may not seem like much but when trying to piece small components together, this can sometimes greatly affect the way it will fit. It’s nearly impossible to print an object with the exact dimensions is your design. Thankfully there are ways you can test, and adjust your design to fit the printer you use.

To measure the legos we used digital calipers, which came in handy when measuring the distance of the circles on top of the lego. Designing the initial lego shape was the easiest part, the bricks are made of basic geometry, mostly being just a rectangle and a few circles. because of this very few tools in fusion360 were needed.

If I were to try and make more lego bricks in the future I would make sure to test the tolerance on a printer first, and maybe make different shaped legos. Below are a few notes i made while making the brick.

Version 1 lego

  • None of the parts worked.
  • Circles on top are to big, and same with bottom.
  • Changed size of circles.

Version 2 lego

  • Top circles worked but were a bit loose
  • Bottom did not work
  • Changed size of bottom and made top circles a bit bigger

Version 3 lego

  • Nothing worked
  • Circles are to big and bottom is to loose
  • Made circles same size as V2 and remeasured the bottom

Version 4

  • Top to loose
  • Bottom works

Version 5

  • Works!!

Bellow are a few images of process.

 .         

 

Submit a Comment