ccbc capstone project pinball

For our capstone project in ccbc we made a collaborative pinball machine, we had to include all of the tools we used in the past project, such as the laser cutter, 3d printer, and cnc mill. We each divided up the parts of the machine, and began the process of designing, and fabricating them.

I was tasked with creating the skeleton of the pinball machine, and also one of the obstacles on the machine that was 3d printed. To create the design for the body, I used Inkscape, the body itself was made out of eighth inch wood, and cut on the laser cutter. During the first few cuts we had problems with the sight on the laser, and had to adjust it a few times before successfully cutting the piece. The front piece was the first to be cut followed by the bottom, and sides. All together there were six pieces needed to create the body, because we each made a part to the pinball machine, communication was key. Unfortunately we did have to re fabricate a few parts due to measurements being incorrect.

After the body was created we began glueing the pieces together using wood glue, making sure to leave space for the installation of the flipper mechanism that sat on the inside of the machine. After the body of the machine was finished, all that was left was to create the obstacles. I created an obstacle containing two 3d printed parts that had a rubber band stretched between them, letting the ball bounce off when it would hit them. To create the pieces I used fusion 360, which we used in the past for other 3d printed projects in the past.

Once all of the obstacles were created, we glued them onto the board using an adhesive that is very effective on 3d prints. Once the machine was fully assembled it was time to decorate. I created a vine that went along the side of the machine, and had three leaves sticking out that each had a number on them. In theory if you hit the ball hard enough to reach one of the leaves whatever number was on the leaf you would count that to your points. The markers we used bled a small bit on the wood, and made it difficult to create a solid design.

The hardest part of this project was incorporating all of the tools we used, we relied heavily on the laser cutter, and 3d printer, but were unsure of how to use the cnc mill. Thankfully in the end we were able to find a way to use it. The best part of creating this project, was getting more experience with the laser cutter, and seeing all of our pieces come together into one project.

 

Below are a few photos of the process starting with the initial sketches, and mapping, onto the beginning stages of the fabrication of the body, and the final touches.

 

Submit a Comment